Monday, June 11, 2012

"We're all mad here...."



I got this fiber from Woolen Mill St Yarns on Etsy.  The colorway is called "Storybook" but I instantly thought of the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland when I saw it, and just had to have it.  It is 4oz of a super wash BFL.  I have no idea what I want to do with it.  It's the dead of summer here right now, and most days are too hot to spin because my hands end up felting the fiber a bit, so I thought I should start spinning this super wash.

I can't decide if I want to spin it on my heavy or light weight spindle (which will help determine the weight of singles I get, which will determine what I end up making with it.)  I'm leaning toward the heavier spindle and making a beanie of some sort.  I'm not sure a shawl would look good in this colorway, and I am in no way prepared to knit hand spun socks, so that's why I'm shying away from the lighter spindle. 

These colors are just so crazy I would probably never where them, but I HAD to have it.  You know how it is.

Nevertheless it's going to be a 2 ply.  I did something I little different with this one as far as prep goes.  Usually I split the roving length wise down the middle, so I have two really long pieces of fiber.  Well, when I was about to split this particular roving, I noticed that the color repeats match up PERFECTLY if folded in half.  So instead of splitting it length wise, I just cut it in half smack in the middle, so now I have two identical mini braids.  (I did not cut the braid in the middle, I unraveled it, cut it, then braided them separately.) As a new spinner, I am very interested to see how this will look once it's plied.

No comments:

Post a Comment