Saturday, June 9, 2012

Free Pattern: Checkers Afghan Square



I came up with this simple square for a swap.  This can also be used as a simple dish cloth pattern with different needles and cotton yarn.  Please leave a comment on this post and let me know how it works for you.

Checkers Afghan Square
Blocked size : 12in x 12 in *To adjust size for your requirements, just cast on in multiples of 5 plus 8.
Gauge: about 5sts per inch
Worsted Weight yarn (I used Berroco Comfort)
Needles to obtain gauge (I used size US 8 /5.0mm

CO 48 sts
knit 4 rows
Next row: K4 *K5,P5. Repeat from * to last 4 sts, knit last 4 sts.
Repeat last row for 8 rows.

Next row: K4*P5, K5. Repeat from * to last 4 sts, knit last 4 sts.
Repeat last row for 8 rows.

Repeat  the last 16 rows until your piece is half an inch from desired length.
Knit 4 rows.
Bind off loosely and block to size.

I hope those are easy to follow instructions.  If you have any questions please email me or leave a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I followed your link over from Ravelry and made this pattern into a dish cloth. I'm very new to knitting and found that your instructions were very easy to follow. I used an acrylic yarn but I think I'd like to make another out of cotton yarn and with a smaller needle (all I had was a US10).

    Thanks for posting your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that it was easy to read for a begginer! Thanks so much for the feed back. I hope to publish a few more simple patterns in the future.

      Delete
  2. So I guess you connect the completed knitted squares. I have never knitted anything with squares. I am assuming I will need a large needle and can look for a video showing how to do this one.

    ReplyDelete